Thursday, August 07, 2008
Guess Where I've Been...
This year's American Accounting Association convention has been one of the best ones I've ever attended. There are a multitude of reasons but suffice it to say, this year's was truly great. The last session was today and ended at 6:00 pm, and by the time I said my goodbyes to my friends, it was almost 7. So guess where I went?
Snow White's castle at Disneyland is a teeny tiny fraction of the size of Cinderella's in DisneyWorld.
The above is at the Disney California Adventure part of the park. Click on the image and look at the big version. Notice anything about the ferris wheel cars? They ride on tracks freely within the wheel. As the wheel goes around the car slides around on the track. It reminds me of that toy the kids had with the wheel on the wire where the magnet kept the wheel going around the wire. By leaning back and forth, you and your fellow car riders can move your car around on the track as you go around the wheel, and especially when the wheel pauses to let other rides board or disembark. The roller coaster in the background uses magnetic linear induction motors to "sling" the car up the hill, there is no chain to pull it up. The car goes from 0 to 100 mph is about 2 seconds.
As shown below, I went and saw the fireworks from INSIDE the park tonight. Inside the park, the firework bursts do make some noise, little pops, enough to let you realize that you're watching fireworks. And to make up for the lack of booming vibrations in your chest, Disney has designed it so that the fireworks are coming from all parts of the park. They come off the Matterhorn ride, space mountain, the mine train mountain, the castle, and especially from behind the It's A Small World building. What's more, the quality of the fireworks is really first class, and they do last a full 15 minutes. My camera battery died on me after taking about five shots, and I had forgot to bring my spares, so I had to move the dead batteries around in the compartment to coax a few more pics out.
Yep, that's the castle at the end of main street below. And yes, it really is that tiny. It's smaller than a 7-11. (The Merry-go-round carousel takes up two or three times the land area of the castle.)
And I really hate crowds. Especially crowds full of hot, sweaty people with crying cranky babies. Fortunately, the quality of the park and its cleanliness offset the sweat and crying enough to make my visit actually pleasant.
Disneyland itself is a miniature version of the Magic Kingdom at DisneyWorld. I was thoroughly impressed, however, at how big it seemed once you were inside. Given how small the whole park is from the outside, the designers and engineers have done a superb job of arranging everything to pack lots of stuff into the tiny space without making it seemed packed or cramped.
However, after all is said and done, Disneyland just isn't the same without taking the kids... or at least someone special to share it with.
2 comments:
I wanna go there!!! Next time I am sooo hiding in your suitcase! :)
I miss you even MORE than I am jealous you went without me.
Post a Comment