Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Golden Gate Bridge

I saw a sign in Fisherman's Wharf that said, "Golden Gate Bridge, 2.9 miles". I figured I could easily walk six miles round-trip the bridge and back. What I didn't realize was, the sign was intended for cars, and it was not the distance to the bridge, but to the entrance ramp for the expressway that ultimately leads to the bridge. The bridge is more like 5 or 6 miles from Fisherman's Wharf. It took me over 2 hours of very brisk walking to get to the bridge, walking along the chilly, windy, waterfront. Below is the view looking back east, from the bridge. Click on the picture for the big version, and look way, way, off into the background, and you will see just how far it is from the bridge back to Downtown San Francisco. It's even longer when the wind is blowing and it's 50 degrees outside, and you're wearing only a flannel shirt. Yes, I walked the entire way, down and back. Took me about four hours total. Nice hike for an old, arthritic gray-haired geezer. But the bridge is definitely impressive.
These pictures are actually in reverse order.
The picture below is taken from about halfway between the Wharf and the Bridge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It has been a long time since I was in San Francisco. It hasn't changed much. I think it's famous also for its sourdough bread. We purchased some there and I've learned to make it. I used to have a hundred year old sourdough starter. Great pics! Barbara Tafuni